Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Fred Hutch), home of three Nobel laureates, is an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other potentially fatal diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone-marrow transplantation, the Center’s five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science. Fred Hutch, in collaboration with its clinical and research partners, the University of Washington, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and Seattle Children’s, is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Pacific Northwest. Join us and make a difference!
The Infectious Disease Advanced Practice Provider (APP) (70-100% FTE) provides care for oncology patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings under the supervision of the Infectious Disease (ID) consult service attending physician and participates in the outpatient parenteral/oral antibiotic therapy program and antimicrobial stewardship program. He/She is a member of the ID consult service that sees Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA) patients at the SCCA and the University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC). This provider will work on our service, along with two other part-time APPs. This service provides infectious disease consults for all SCCA patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Primary responsibilities include initial evaluation, appropriate physical examinations, development of a treatment plan and progress notes, and ongoing follow up of patients on whom an infectious disease consult has been requested. A telemedicine program is being developed. The service is shared between the APPs and the ID fellow. The APP will be supervised by the ID attending. Additional responsibilities include:
This includes but is not limited to the following:
· Provide advice and consult to SCCA physicians, APPs, and staff regarding vaccinations for SCCA patients, use of prophylaxis for infectious disease exposures, and appropriate use of antimicrobial agents.
· Provide phone or telemedicine consults, e.g. for long term follow-up (LTFU) patients with ID attending and LTFU staff back up as needed.
· Provide weekend coverage for the ID fellow each month (one weekend per month).
· Coordinate/manage the outpatient parenteral/oral antibiotic therapy program and antimicrobial stewardship program with the ID physician, including communication with internal and external pharmacies and infusion services.
· Perform appropriate physical examination for clinical research trials related to immunocompromised patient population.
· Attend microbiology rounds at the UWMC, SCCA ID clinical care conference, and SCCA infection control meetings.
· Recruit eligible patients for infectious disease research protocols, and assist in compassionate use protocols as needed.
· Assist in updating the SCCA ID fellows’ handbook as needed.
Please include a cover letter when applying for this job that includes your specific interest in the Advanced Practice Provider position and working for Fred Hutch (either as an additional attachment on your profile or merged into the file that contains your resume).
We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.